Deprecated: Automatic conversion of false to array is deprecated in /usr/www/users/seathdmkgs/wp-content/plugins/wp-import-export-lite/includes/classes/import/extensions/bg/class-wpie-bg.php on line 92 Facts About Plastic Pollution And How You Can Minimise Your Contribution - Sea The Bigger Picture

Facts About Plastic Pollution And How You Can Minimise Your Contribution

We understand that cutting plastic out of our daily lives is unfathomable since it always seems to be at our fingertips. From technology to cutlery, our reliance on plastic has become a cause for concern. How to determine solutions for ocean pollution and Plastic Pollution?

What Is Plastic Pollution?

An uncomfortable portion of the earth is swimming in plastic, and it’s harming people, animals and the environment. The convenience of plastic has resulted in a throw-away culture that revealed the dark side of the material. Plastic pollution education has become essential because it is one of the most pressing environmental issues.

Facts about plastic pollution and how you can minimise your contribution:

How It Affects Our Oceans 

The unfortunate truth is that a massive amount of plastic ends up in the ocean and affects marine habitats and life.

1. How Much Plastic Is In The Ocean?

The sheer size of the ocean makes it difficult to come up with specifics. The latest estimate is that there are eight million tons of plastic introduced into the ocean every year.

2. What Are The Major Causes Of Plastic Pollution In The Ocean?

According to the National Geographic, single-use plastics account for 40% of the plastic produced each year. Plastics such as plastic bags and food wrappers are used for a couple of minutes but can pollute the ocean for hundreds of years.

3. How Do Plastic Straws Contribute?

If you’re wondering about the effect that straws have on the environment, it’s their light weight that makes them difficult to recycle even though they are technically recyclable.

4. How Do Plastic Straws Pollute The Ocean?

Simple. Through littering. Straw users often throw these single-use plastic straws on beaches or out of car windows and boats. The wind can also blow them away from overflowing trash cans.

5. Where Do The Plastic Bags We Throw Away End Up?

The truth is that the world only recycles 5% of the plastic bags produced. What about the other 95%? Un-recycled plastic bags are often sent to landfills where they don’t break down. Instead, they release dangerous chemicals into the environment, tear and blow away.

Be The Solution For Plastic Pollution

What can you do to reduce your contribution to plastic pollution?

  • Reduce your plastic use, especially single-use plastic products.
  • Keep your discarded plastic out of the waste stream by diverting your waste to local waste and sorting depots.
  • Consider reusable straws, glass, bamboo and steel are great alternatives.
  • Invest in a reusable water bottle and coffee flask.
  • Consider joining a local organisation to volunteer for conservation campaigns.
  • Educate yourself about plastic pollution and your local recycling infrastructure and drop off points.
  • Join your local beach cleanup events.

To be a part of our solutions to Ocean Pollution Awareness, contact our team at #SeaTheBiggerPicture. Get involved with our projects and initiatives, browse through our website. See how you can not only help in reducing plastic in our oceans but also participate in other ocean projects and ventures.

Scroll to Top